Monday 10 August 2009

This is the Rampion, photographed on chalky soil in Dorset. It prefers dry grassland - banks, waysides, and often closely-grazed habitats and flowers June to August. I can't find any herbal use for it, so it will have to rely on its pretty colouring and petals which are a little like Ragged Robin, only with a different flowerhead and colouring overall. I also know these as hard heads. There is a much-rarer Round-Headed Rampion which I would love to find one day.



I photographed this poor blackbird in a tree outside our eldest daughter's kitchen window in her new flat. He was totally bald and illustrates how hard parent birds work feeding their young. I think such a heavy moult is brought on following all that hard work.

4 comments:

  1. Poor little blackbird! The woods are very quiet at the moment as the birds hide away to moult. They must be glad of the rest after all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden here has been very quiet too - not even many sparrows (we have hoards) or jackdaws, but the magpies still have an eye to the main chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That flower reminds me of one that is common in the US--my brain is too tired to recall the correct name and my books on wildflowers are apparently buried in one of my tottering piles. I do see that it may be related to the knapweed--similar scaly bit below the petals. One of those things that curiosity will compel me to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knapweed is another name for it MM. Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete