Saturday 28 February 2009

Leisure

Bank vole(long tailed) at Gelli Aur this morning. My reward for being quiet and standing and staring. He wasn't aware of me at all.


I would like to share with you one of my favourite poems, by W.H. Davies. It is a well-known poem and worthy of keeping in the public eye, especially as so many people are racing here and there and never have a moment for themselves or their families, let alone the natural world about them.

LEISURE

What is life, if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep and cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at beauty's glance,
And watch her feed, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this, if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

7 comments:

  1. How marvellous to see this vole - lucky you! The poem is one that I love too, used it in my blog ages ago. A lot more people could do with reading and taking notice of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was totally unconcerned Rowan - obviously not seen anyone since last autumn when the place was last open to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bovey, I think we must be of the same 'vintage' because you so frequently post the poems I know and love, ditto re plants, ditto re books. It would seem, also, that where you live is still as unspoiled as was our little part of the High Cotswolds when we first came here, in 1969; sadly no more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blog!
    A fellow blogger posted a link to you and I thought I would come check it out as I'm very interested in learning about wildlife and nature, I got so absorbed in fact that I nearly forgot the biscuits I had in the oven!
    Really looking forward to reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WSC - I am a 1952 vintage wot lives in the past! Like you, I mourn for the loss of the sort of countryside I grew up in.

    MM - pull up a chair and enjoy the chat. Check out my other blog, Codlins and Cream too, as similar natter on there, with an historical bent . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas the only long tailed voles I tend to see are the ones the cat brings in. Thankfully she seems to prefer mice! Isn't it funny how different areas of the country flower at such different times? We have no celandines out at all here (Northamptonshire)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even within a few miles radius there are differences Jane - here we have the silver paws of pussy willows ONLY just showing. Along the A40 near Johnstown, they are in full golden puff and going over now! A different micro-climate.

    ReplyDelete